Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tasty Tuesday and WINNER!!!



So this is the picture I had you all guessing on last week. Some really good guesses and I had to chuckle at a few of them too! HEHE! Nobody got it correct though as they are fried dandelion flowers!! Yep, I'm showing my true hillbilly side! LMAO! This time of year we do hunt wild mushrooms (morels) and so far we have found 515 of them!! I will show you a few pictures of those when I post about my backpacking trip! :) In one day on our trip we found 355....we have NEVER done that before so it was really exciting! We have been sharing them with our parents but still couldn't eat them all so I have tried freezing them....we will see how that turns out. Anyways, back to the dandelions. Most people do not know you can eat the flowers. I have also eaten the green leaves but I do not like them because they taste bitter to me like collard greens. They say if you pick them when they first come up they won't be bitter but I still think they taste aweful! As for the dandelion heads you of course want to pick in an area that doesn't get sprayed with chemicals or anything and you pluck them as close to the base as possible to stay away from the bitter green part. Then just soak them in a cold saltwater solution, dry, coat with an egg and milk mixture, then roll in a breading like flour or breadcrumbs....add a dash of salt and pepper and fry them up! And since I don't have a deep fryer....I call this technique SHALLOW fried in my skillet instead of DEEP fried! I only put enough oil in the skillet to cover the bottom so almost like a saute really! Sounds better but I'm sure they are still just as bad as deep fried! LMAO!

Now for the winner! As usual I put all the names in hubby's camo hat and had him pick one and that person is..................drumroll...............................
.......................................................................................................................
BECKY from Scrappin' Becky B.

Congrats!!! Please e-mail me and I will get your prize shipped off!

7 Comments:

Annmaree of Oz said...

WOW, Well there you go, thats very cool!

I'm sure I have read that you can eat them, but never tried them, think I would like to try them deep fried first perhaps tho? lol!

What fun, and OMG LOTS of mushrooms that sounds awesome, gonna have to find lots of recipes with them, maybe a mushroom pate, i tried that once and it was GREAT!

Cor* said...

SHUT UP!! OMG! You are so awesome with your little tid bits!

Michelle H. said...

OMG! I would have never guessed that!!
I have heard of eating them and I have tried the greens in salads before they were ok. I have never tried the flower part!
How exciting all the mushrooms you found!
Sounds like a fun trip!!
Hugs!

Dawnll said...

I was really stumped on that one but so glad you came back to tell us...thought I had missed it.
They sound yummy- I will try most things once, how can you go wrong with frying?
blessings to you, Dawn ll

Michelle H. said...

Glad you liked the big pink egg! LOL!
I have a couple more and I add her larger gift items in them!
They are hard to hide though since they are so big!!
Hope you have a wonderful Thursday!!
Hugs!

Becky B. said...

Oh you are sooooo tricky!! Dandelions...who would have thunk that?!?!? Tell your hubby thanks for drawing my name - WOO HOO!! :)

Merry said...

Well I have never heard of that before and will look at Dandelions in a different light now. :-) And all those mushrooms...you sure did have a successful backpacking trip.